Monday, August 29, 2011

If you are born an addict ... do you die an addict

Ok... you caught me... I do think about it .. I think about it everyday of my life.  (not exactly in the "why me" kind of way) more so the... "why them" kind of way.
Are we born addicted to ourselves?  Why do some people live to make themselves feel good ... and the other half of us seem to live to make others feel good. 
Is an addict addicted to the drug ... or addicted to putting themselves first.  I mean really... have you ever met a "giving" addict.. I have not. 
I have to admit... the whole... "I'm a changed person" ... oh tear...although it is getting quite old.. my heart opens up .. grows a little more and wants to believe in miracles... only to find my heart broken and thrashed with 1,765 more stab wounds than the original amount.
Are people like me addicted to people like them?  Is there a way to shrink your heart?  If there is... please let me know and give me the recipe ASAP!

http://www.loveshack.org/forums/t91660/

3 comments:

  1. Good question!!! I believe people can change, but I also believe they can only change if they find God! I mean truly find God! They learn what unconditional love truly means!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Addicted to putting themselves first" - that's a great way to define it.
    I think some people have addictive "personalities" that could be inherent to some extent, but probably more so because these types of people have been given whatever they want, whenever they want, without having to ever work for it, and so they only learn how to take. Many of them also had everything done for them their entire childhood, so by the time they get to be adults they 1) are used to getting everything they want; and 2) don't know how to "be adults" and do anything for themselves, but what does that matter? They somehow always seem to find someone (parent, significant other, spouse, etc) to take care of them. So instead they turn to various vices to keep them occupied (but don't know how to exercise moderation because they've never learned self control). And so you end up with a spoiled, useless, addict.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm 2 very different views.. think Ive only seen (personally the number 2 type of addict.. mammas kids... The opposite child abuse...to never teach you child independence will ruin every realtionship and job they will ever had.. but guess what mamma... mission accomplished.. they will always live with you and still need you because... 90% will be divorced an 45yrs old living in your house so you can pack those "perfect lunches" because no one does it the way mamma does it.....hmmm... BARF....and RRRRRRRRRUUUUN

    ReplyDelete